Got a news story about your school’s projects? Want to enter the Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots Awards? You’re in the right place!
The Roots & Shoots website allows you to easily post updates on how your school has been helping people, animals and the environment directly to the site to share with other Roots & Shoots members across the world. Every story that you write will also be automatically entered for the Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots Awards!
Here’s how to post your story:
- If you’re not already a member, you will first need to register your school for Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots. Registration is easy – follow this link to register your school now (opens in a new window), then come back here when you are done.
- Once you are registered, you need to log in. You can open the login page in a new window with this link so that you can keep this guide open. Alternatively, on any Roots & Shoots page, fill in your user name and password in the boxes at the very top right of the screen and click on Login.
- You will now be taken to the Mission Control page for your school.
- In the right-hand side column you will see a section called ‘Your School’. Click on the option to Post a Story for Your School.
- A new window will open asking you to sign in to WordPress. This is the tool that allows you to add content to the website, and your login information is the same as for the Roots & Shoots site. So, enter your user name and password again and you will be logged straight in.
- You will now be ready to write your post, and can type the title and text straight into the supplied fields. The grey utilities bar features some of the common tools that you might find in any word processing software, and will allow you to add formatting such as numbers or bullets to lists, quotes and so on. You can see how your post will appear on the site at any time by clicking on the ‘Preview this Post’ button in the right-hand side column, which will open a new window to show you this.
- As well as text, you can add photographs to accompany your article by using the Add Media button above the utilities bar. Click on the Add Media button and you will be guided through the process to add images to your post. You can add images from your computer or from somewhere else on the web such as an online photo gallery, and again you can preview your post at any time to see how it will look on the site. There is now an expanded tutorial on how to post pictures using the WordPress system here.
- Once you have finished writing your story, click on the ‘Submit for Review’ button and your post is completed. You can then view it, edit it, write another, or close the window and return to the Roots & Shoots site.
- Someone here at Roots & Shoots Central will do a quick check of your story and we will then make it available for everyone to see – this might take us a few days!