Every year on September 21st , Roots & Shoots groups from around the world celebrate Roots & Shoots Peace Day and honour the UN International Day of Peace. Dr. Jane has been a UN Messenger of Peace since 2002 and she inspires us all to live in harmony with nature and each other. Each Roots & Shoots project is a step towards a future in which humans can live in peace in an environmentally sustainable way—a step towards achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals. This year’s theme for the UN International Day of Peace is Sustainable Development Goals: Building Blocks for Peace.
With this theme in mind, Dr. Jane shared this message
Every year, through projects that promote peace among people and the natural world, as well as the symbolic “flying” of their signature Giant Peace Dove Puppets, Roots & Shoots members all over the world, show their dedication to creating a better, more peaceful future for generations to come.
Celebrate Peace Day with people, animals and the environment through the activities below. Share your photos using #RootsandShoots #PeaceDay on social media.
- What you can do?
- Sing the Peace Day Song
- Share ideas – what is peace?
- Make big and small Peace Day Doves
- Hold a Peace Day assembly
- Learn about how different countries celebrate Peace Day
- Learn about the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- And the Global Goals for Sustainable Development http://www.globalgoals.org
- Have a Peace Day parade
- Watch the Roots & Shoots Global Peace Day 2015
- Tell us about your Peace Day celebrations and we will post and share far and wide your photos and comments!!