Every year on September 21st, Roots & Shoots groups from around the world gather together to celebrate Roots & Shoots Peace Day and honour the UN International Day of Peace. Dr. Jane has been a UN Messenger of Peace since 2002 and she inspires us all to live in harmony with nature and each other. Each Roots & Shoots project is a step towards a future in which humans can live in peace in an environmentally sustainable way—a step towards achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals. This year’s theme for the UN International Day of Peace is “The Right to Peace – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights at 70celebrating the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
This year, we are very excited as Andover Trees United and the town of Andover are hosting the Parade for the very first time. SIx of our wonderful Roots & Shoots schools are joining the parade. We will fly the doves in town and in Harmony Woods.
Thanks to the support of Test Valley Borough Council Leader Cllr Phil North, Andover Trees United worked with the Council’s ‘Andover Vision’ team to run 5 community engagement sessions at town events in July and August to make doves and write pledges. The environmental remit of the ‘Vision’ is to highlight the River Anton, local nature reserves and connect more young people to the beautiful natural spaces and countryside in and around the town. The Roots & Shoots ‘Making Doves for Peace Day’ sessions gave the Vison Team the chance to showcase these environmental ambitions. Children and families who took part made several hundred doves. Sessions were led by a rota of 10 Roots & Shoots youngsters (our ‘Junior Branch’) and ATU volunteers. The doves will be displayed in Andover Library in the run up to Peace Day. As well as the schools – children, teachers and parents – attending, invitations have been accepted by:
- The Deputy Lord Lieutenant of Hampshire Lady Portal MBE DL;
- The Mayor of Test Valley, Cllr Ian Carr
- The Mayor of Andover, Cllr Barbara Townsend
- Borough Councillor David Drew, Town Councillor Carol Bartholomew, Enham Parish Councillor James Nash
- Andover Trees United volunteers and local residents
We look forward to meeting everyone to honour Dr Jane’s message of Peace.
What you can do?
- Sing the Peace Day Song
- Share ideas – what is peace?
- Make big and small Peace Day Doves
- Hold a Peace Day assembly
- Learn about how different countries celebrate Peace Day
- And the Global Goals for Sustainable Development http://www.globalgoals.org
- Have a Peace Day parade
- Tell us about your Peace Day celebrations and we will post and share far and wide your photos and comments!!