Every year on September 21st, Roots & Shoots groups from around the world celebrate Roots & Shoots Peace Day and honour the UN International Day of Peace. Dr. Jane has been a UN Messenger of Peace since 2002 and she inspires us all to live in harmony with nature and each other. Each Roots & Shoots project is a step towards a future in which humans can live in peace in an environmentally sustainable way—a step towards achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
This year’s theme is “Climate Action for Peace”. The theme draws attention to the importance of combatting climate change as a way to protect and promote peace throughout the world.
Climate change causes clear threats to international peace and security. Natural disasters displace three times as many people as conflicts, forcing millions to leave their homes and seek safety elsewhere. The salinization of water and crops is endangering food security, and the impact on public health is escalating. The growing tensions over resources and mass movements of people are affecting every country on every continent.
Peace can only be achieved if concrete action is taken to combat climate change.
We are so excited that Andover Trees United and the town of Andover are hosting the Parade for the 2nd time! Many of our Roots & Shoots local schools are joining us too. We will fly the doves in Harmony Woods.
What you can do?
- Sing the Peace Day Song
- Share ideas – what is peace?
- Make a Giant Dove RSPeaceDay-GiantPeaceDoves and Small Small Dove Instructions Peace Day Doves
- Hold a Peace Day assembly
- Learn about how different countries celebrate Peace Day
- And the Global Goals for Sustainable Development http://www.globalgoals.org
- Have a Peace Day parade
- Following the Windsor Roots & Shoots gathering this summer a group of the participants established their own special campaign and video for the Day of Peace and they could use our help! Have a look at their website and consider supporting their efforts on social media. If you are doing something special in your country for the Day of Peace, please let us know so we can share as well.
- Tell us about your Peace Day celebrations and we will post and share far and wide your photos and comments!!