Our planet is under pressure. So are the generations who inherit it. It’s time to invest in climate solutions by and for emerging leaders, inspired by Count Us In and the United Nation’s COP26 Race to Zero. Leading up to COP26, we will grow a diverse community of young innovators tackling climate action!
In partnership with Climate Action: Race to Zero, we are delighted to launch a competition to finance your innovative projects!
5 of you will get the chance to win £1,500 and here is how:
- Inspired by our Roots & Shoots Ambassador Robert Swan, we’ve created the Climate Force Challenge to enable the reduction of our CO2 usage and offsetting it
- We’re asking you to rise to this challenge by making changes to your own lifestyles to reduce your CO2 usage
So, how does it work?
- REDUCE– this might include reducing electricity usage by turning off lights at school/ home or saving water (and hence energy) by e.g. turning off the tap when brushing teeth, using a shower instead of a bath, etc. (you can find lots more water saving ideas in our Water: Audits and Pledges).
- REUSE– this might include using a re-usable water bottle or coffee cup, tupperware instead of clingfilm, etc. ‘My PET Project’ is a great way to take on the issue of plastic bottles and have lots of fun too. And if you want to let your imagination run free, why not organise a Trashion Show and transform all these single use plastic items into amazing outfits.
- RECYCLE– E.g., plastic and glass bottles, cans, textiles, etc. Learn why it is important to recycle properly and how it affects our environment if we don’t. Go the extra mile by getting your hands dirty by doing some litter picking in your local area and create Rubbish Charts.
- PLANT – A typical treecan absorb around 21 kilograms of carbon dioxide (CO2) per year; however, this figure is only achieved when the tree is fully grown – saplings will absorb significantly less than this. Over a lifetime of 100 years, one tree could absorb around a tonne of Individuals can offset their own CO2 emissions by planting six trees per month. So, Greening your local area is a great way to not only offset your CO2 emissions, but contribute to beautifying your local environment and helping the wildlife – it’s a Win – Win!
Your project can be a brand new one or a continuation of a project you have already started working on – our focus is on the positive change you are making!
Remember to keep on posting those wonderful activities on the Roots & Shoots website (please include photos) and don’t forget to have fun too!
The deadline is Friday 11th February 2022, and the winners will be announced on the 19th February – Roots & Shoots 31st Anniversary.
If you have any questions, please contact Jasmina Georgovska at firstname.lastname@example.org
the Roots & Shoots Team
Climate Action: Race to Zero is an international collaboration to mobilise the creativity and energy of young people on climate action. When you take on a challenge, you’re joining the Count Us In global movement! Learn more at climateaction.love.