Salt water makes up approximately 97% of Earth’s water which leaves only about 3% freshwater available for plants and animals. In addition, two thirds of the freshwater is actually frozen solid in glaciers, snow and polar ice caps. Only surface water and groundwater can be used by living organisms and once it becomes polluted, it […]
It’s easy to take water for granted. Turn on the tap and you get a seemingly endless supply splashing into the sink, pop to the seaside and there is literally oceans of the stuff and of course, in the UK it always seems like gallons of the stuff is falling from the sky! Which animals […]
A new study shows that all over the world we’re using fresh water faster than it is being replenished. Find out where in the world is most affected and what you can do to help.
Turners Hill Primary School have decided that their next major environmental project is to be a rainwater harvesting system. We plan to have three large tanks each holding 6500 L of water. The water will be used to flush the toilets within the school. We will also have a large educational display showing how much rainwater […]
Our children have been learning about how to save water. We had an eco-assembly about water conservation. The children gave their own ideas about how they could save water at school and at home. We are going to make sure all the taps are switched off after use and a campaign was launched to persuade […]
This term all the children took part in a water project, learning how precious water is and how important it is not to waste it.
As part of the mission to improve the biodiversity around Fearnhill School, 30 saplings, donated by the Woodland Trust ,were planted around the school grounds. Some of these were planted around the wildlife garden to provide a wider range of habitats for various bird and insect species. In the wildlife garden itself, the pond is […]