With tens of thousands of young people in over 65 countries, the Roots & Shoots network branches out across the globe, connecting youth of all ages who share a common desire to help make our world a better place. This powerful, youth-driven network fosters a fun, flexible and supportive environment where young people come together to share ideas and inspiration, implement successful community service projects and participate in special events and international campaigns.
Roots & Shoots in the UK is a programme of the Jane Goodall Institute (UK).
What Makes the Roots & Shoots Programme Unique?
Caring and Compassionate Leadership
Roots & Shoots is guided by the founding principles and extraordinary vision of Dr Jane Goodall, renowned primatologist, environmentalist and humanitarian. Her firm belief that young people, when informed and empowered, when they realise that what they do truly makes a difference, can indeed change the world, is at the very heart of our programme. This powerful message of hope inspires us all. Our programme dedicated to inspiring tomorrow’s leaders today not only motivates young people to learn about pertinent issues facing our local and international communities, but helps them actually design, lead and implement their own projects as a means of solving them.
Flexible and Fun
The possibilities are endless with Roots & Shoots! Our flexible model lets members customise projects to meet their group needs. With Roots & Shoots, there are no rigid requirements and no limit to your imagination. The projects that groups design are fun for all involved, and the tools and resources that Roots & Shoots provides are easily applicable.
There’s Something for Everyone in Our International Network
Roots & Shoots offers a wealth of resources and networking opportunities (such as our twinning programme) for kids and teens, parents, teachers, students and teachers. Our uniquely designed programme connects people of every age, race, culture, religion or economic background in a vibrant international network and offers opportunities for every individual to:
- learn about humanitarian, animal and environmental issues affecting our world.
- share insights, ideas and inspiration for making positive change happen.
- grow in ways that enrich lives.as individuals, as members of the local community and as international citizens of our world.
YOU Can Make a Difference with Roots & Shoots!
To foster respect and compassion for all living things, to promote understanding of all cultures and beliefs and to inspire each individual to take action to make the world a better place for people, animals and the environment.
Our Goals are International
- To implement positive change through active learning about, caring for and interacting with the environment.
- To demonstrate care and concern for all animals.
- To enhance understanding among individuals of different cultures, ethnic groups, religions, socio-economic levels and nations through our international communications network.
- To help young people develop self-respect, confidence in themselves and hope for the future.
How is Roots & Shoots funded?
Roots & Shoots is part of the Jane Goodall Institute UK (registered charity number 327858) and is funded through donations. You can help to support the work of Roots & Shoots in the UK by making a donation, no matter how small – the easiest way is via our JustGiving page. Thanks so much for your support!